Computer Science Program Objectives and Outcomes
Computer Science Program Objectives
A graduate of the MSU Computer Science Program is prepared to be
- successful in a computing-related profession, or
- successful in graduate study.
To achieve these objectives the department prepares students in the application of fundamental computing principles and software development skills. This preparation includes the design and implementation of systems that solve complex problems. Our graduates will be trained in teamwork, effective communication, professionalism, ethics, and the engagement of learning and applying new ideas and technologies as the field evolves.
Computer Science Student OutcomesThe program enables students to achieve, by the time of graduation:
- Design: An ability to apply mathematical foundations, algorithmic principles, and computer science theory in the modeling and design of computer-based systems in a way that demonstrates comprehension of the tradeoffs involved in design choices. (a+j)
- Implement & Evaluate: An ability to analyze a problem, identify and define computing requirements, and apply design and development principles in the construction and evaluation of software systems of varying complexity. (b+c+k)
- Teamwork: An ability to function effectively on teams to accomplish a common goal (d)
- Communication: An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences (f)
- Current: An ability to use current techniques, skills, and tools necessary for computing practice (i+h)